Ruth’s Post on Direct Instruction

Ruth, I found your outline of Direct Instruction to be thoughtfully curated and presented. More so, the ease at which you described the concept makes me feel like I could just as easily repeat it to my neighbour (I think Einstein would be proud, “If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough”). Also, I especially appreciated your example of the computer science professor, as it took me back to CSC 109. One thing I would love to hear more of is your own attitude toward this learning design – what draws you to it, if anything?

Thank you, Ruth!

Thomas’ Post on Cooperative Learning

Thomas, I found your outline of Cooperative Learning to be quite informative. I really appreciated the holistic view that you provided through describing multiple different examples of this learning design. Contrary to your statement however, I think there may be some room for Cooperative Learning in our Learning Design Project. For example, with the ‘Peer instruction’ method, the theoretical learners could reply to a prompted question that is related to the material, and then read the comments of former learners, to which they could then reply to their own previously posted comment with an updated comment that reflects the new perspectives they’ve received.

Thank you, Thomas!